Mathematics and Reading Academies
In 2015 the 84th Texas Legislature (Regular Session) passed legislation directing the commissioner of education to develop and make available the following professional development opportunities to Texas public school teachers:
- Mathematics achievement academies for teachers who provide math instruction to students at the kindergarten, first, second, or third grade level (Senate Bill 934, 84th Texas Legislature, 2015)
- Literacy achievement academies for teachers who provide reading instruction to students at the kindergarten or first, second, or third grade level (SB 925, 84th Texas Legislature, 2015)
- Reading-to-learn academies for teachers who provide reading comprehension instruction to students at the fourth or fifth grade level (SB 972 84th Texas Legislature, 2015)
The mathematics and reading academies will be available during summer 2019. To view the list of eligible campuses, visit: ESC Mathematics and Reading Academies Priority List for 2016, 2017, and 2018.
Reading Academies have been redesigned to better meet the needs of Texas teachers. 2019 Reading Academies will include:
K-5 Teacher Experience
- 15-month professional development series including 5-days of professional development in the summer and additional training throughout the academic year
- Instructional coaching
- Differentiated learning pathways
- A stipend of $1,500 for completing the program and travel reimbursement
If you are a teacher and are interested in this opportunity, talk with your school, district and regional leadership.
Regional, District and School Leader Experience
- Access to 15-month professional development series including 5-days of professional development in the summer and additional training throughout the academic year with reduced expectation for attendance
- Differentiated pathways
If you are a regional, district or school leader and are interested in you and your teachers participating, please review the grant opportunity below:
Reading Excellence and Academies Development (READ) Grant Opportunity
January 10, 2019
READ Webinar January 10, 2019 at 2:00 pm CT.
First day to submit written questions about READ. Send questions to email@example.com
January 18, 2019
Last day to submit written questions about READ to firstname.lastname@example.org
January 25, 2019
Responses to written questions will be posted on this webpage
February 1, 2019
Optional Notice of Intent: submit
March 1, 2019
Please submit your completed Letter of Interest (LOI) Application and Letters of Commitment to email@example.com with the subject line: READ LoI _
Finalists will be notified by TEA to complete a Request for Application (RFA).
March – May 2019
RFA Evaluation and Negotiation Process
Notices of Grant Awards (NOGAs) issued. READ activities begin.
The Texas Legislature has appropriated funding to pay stipends to eligible teachers who successfully complete academies. A teacher who successfully completes an academy will be eligible to receive a $350 stipend, minus applicable income taxes and payroll deductions.
TEA will process payments to school districts and charter schools for disbursement to eligible teachers who completed an academy. Teachers who completed academy training and who submitted a signed verification form accepting the stipend upon completion of the training will receive a stipend.
Once stipend information has been verified and processed, TEA will issue a payment to each school district and charter school that had an eligible teacher complete an approved training. Districts and schools are required to pay teachers the stipend in a timely manner. Districts and schools will be notified of the payment and will be provided a detailed list of the teachers who are to receive the stipend. Correspondence will be sent to the district or charter school superintendent as well as to the district business office at the email address on file in the AskTED system.
外国成人视频For questions related to stipend payment, teachers should first contact their district or charter school business office, followed by the ESC responsible for the academy training.
Instructions for Finding Your Unique ID (PDF, 191KB) - For timely processing of teacher stipends for academy attendance, participant’s ten-digit Unique ID number is required.
Frequently Asked Questions
Achievement Academies ESC FAQs 2017外国成人视频 (PDF, 158KB)
Achievement Academies FAQs 2017外国成人视频 (PDF, 164KB)