General Inquiry

Notice:  You are welcome to call the Office of General Inquiry directly at (512) 463-9290; however, please be aware that you will need to leave a message with your name, phone number, and a brief message. All calls received today will be answered on Monday, June 22, 2020.

We understand that you might have questions or concerns about how COVID-19 is impacting your school year. TEA's most up-to-date information on this issue can be found: If you have additional related questions and cannot find your answer on this page, please submit your question to the following email address: and Agency staff will coordinate an appropriate answer to add to this page. Please check the link above for additional updates as the page adds resources frequently. If you wish to file a complaint with TEA regarding the impact of your school year due to COVID-19, you may file a written complaint with TEA by downloading and filling out the online complaint form, saving the complaint, and emailing it to, or by mailing a hard copy to the address on the form.

It is also important to note that TEA has jurisdiction over public school districts and charter schools and not other educational or child entities such as private schools, daycares, and universities.

If you have a concern relating to a private school, you may choose to reach out to the Texas Private School Accreditation Commission.  You may contact them at:

Texas Private School Accreditation Commission
3801 N Capital of TX Hwy, Suite E-240 PMB 173,
Austin, TX 78746
(512) 499-8357

Questions related to childcare facilities may be addressed with the Texas Health and Human Services Commission. You may reach them by contacting their Office of Ombudsman as follows:

Texas Health and Human Services Commission
Office of the Ombudsman, MC H-700
P O Box 13247
Austin, TX 78711-3247
外国成人视频 Fax: 1-888-780-8099 (Toll-Free)

To the extent your concern involves a university外国成人视频, you may reach out to that university or with the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.  You may contact them at:

Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
1200 E. Anderson Lane
Austin, TX 78752
(512) 427-6101


外国成人视频The Office of General Inquiry provides general information and resources on matters related to the rights and responsibilities of parents under  (TEC). Parents with concerns about a school should initially address their concern with the appropriate school district administrator. 

Complaints about local public school district or public charter school concerns may be filed regarding:

  • Staff hiring and evaluation
  • Classroom assignments
  • Student retention and grading
  • Selection or provision of textbooks and materials
  • Student discipline
  • Facilities
  • Homework practices
  • Use of general education funds
  • Dress codes
  • Educational programs and services provided to an individual student
  • Actions or omissions of a public education agency employee, including an educator, substitute, contractor, or volunteer

Under the rights of parents described in , school districts provide a process for parents or members of the public to present a complaint. Before bringing any question regarding school policy or a specific decision affecting a student to the attention of the TEA, the issue should be presented to the responsible parties in this order:

  1. Teachers
  2. School or campus principal
  3. Superintendent of schools
  4. Local board of trustees
  5. The Texas Education Agency

If you have followed the local complaint policy and procedures in presenting your concerns and still feel that the school has violated a right of yours, you can call the Office of General Inquiries at (512) 463-9290 or email: generalinquiry@18hsm.com外国成人视频. A staff member is available to answer calls during normal business hours. Spanish speakers are available (se habla español).

外国成人视频A formal complaint to TEA must allege non-compliance with either federal or state laws or rules that are under the jurisdiction of TEA. The complaint must be in writing and signed and include the facts or documentation on which the allegation is based.

    Special Education Complaints

    Parents of special education students with concerns about special education rights can file their complaints directly with the TEA. Please refer to the Division of IDEA Coordination's complaint process.

    外国成人视频These parents also have additional rights and procedural safeguards under the Individual with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). For more information, please contact the Division of IDEA Coordination at (512) 463-9414.

    Charter School Complaints

    Public charter schools may have different rules and requirements than school districts. For guidance related to charter schools, please contact the Charter Schools Division by email at or by phone at (512) 463-9575.

    Texas School Laws and Rules

    Texas schools and their employees are governed by laws and rules found in the Texas Education Code and the Texas Administrative Code.

    Section 504 of the Rehabilitative Act of 1973

    For , see the district’s Section 504 Coordinator. Discrimination complaints are under the jurisdiction and authority of . OCR enforces several Federal civil rights laws that prohibit discrimination in programs or activities that receive Federal financial assistance from the Department of Education.

    For assistance related to civil rights, you may visit the  headquarters office in Washington D.C. or the OCR enforcement office serving your state or territory. For further information, please contact:
    Office for Civil Rights Dallas Regional Office
    Phone: (214) 661-9600
    Toll Free (800) 421-3481
    Fax:(214) 661-9587

    TEA Authority to Monitor and Intervene with Public School

    TEA’s authority to monitor and intervene with school districts is overseen by the Division of School Improvement.

    Frequently Asked Questions 

     This link contains frequently asked questions that our office receives. Each link will have questions and answers related to the topic area. Our office can answer general questions and provide information about state law, but we cannot give legal advice to either side of a dispute.